Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CT Thermal Rating Factor and CT Class 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uquresh1

Electrical
May 17, 2010
US
If I can't find the CT Thermal Rating Factor TRF (or Rating Factor RF) on the nameplate, is there a way to find that knowing the CT class? In other words, how can I come up with a TRF if I do have the CT nameplate data and saturation curves.
Station that I am doing settings for has this 1960s breaker which doesn't have this data listed on whatever documentation I can find. And assuming a conservative TRF of 1.0 is not helping me since the max continuous current expected on the CT will be higher than it can take. Now if TRF is 1.5 or 2.0, then I am good.
Attaching the CT curves that has data, incase there is a way I can assume the TRF from it.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=132d147a-fe8e-44b3-8909-6dfc63c55164&file=CT_curves.png
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You won't be able to get any information on the rating factor from the class, or excitation curves.

These seem to be bushing CTs on breaker, so the rating factor of the CT is based on the secondary winding and specifically the size conductor used on the secondary winding.

The curve does give you the secondary resistance, but one would need to know the size of the core to be able to guess on the wire size used on the secondary.

From an engineering perspective, if you don't know the RF of a CT, you should assume it is 1.0.

I'm surprised the ratings of the CT, including RF, aren't on the breaker nameplate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back