Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Culvert Design EH load

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stewie_

Civil/Environmental
Aug 18, 2010
US
Hi, Dear All,

I have a quick question on culvert design EH load.
Geotech engineer gives EH values (equivalent fluid pressure) for active (40 pcf)/at-rest (60 pcf)/passive (480 pcf) earth pressure.
When model the culvert in Eriksson, for EH loads, I only entered in the active and at-rest values, but not the passive value.
I think it is because the possible culver failure pattern will not involve the side walls pushing into soil. Am I right on this?
Please advise.

Thanks~!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If the side walls pushing into soil develops passive thrust ,probably this will be end of game meaning , you need to increase the wall thk. You are expected to use EHmax (60pcf) and EHmin ( 30 pcf ) with assumption of submerged soil con.

Pls look local code for design criteria and load combinations at your zone.

The following doc. is useful and there is a worked example.
Good luck ..

Use it up, wear it out;
Make it do, or do without.

NEW ENGLAND MAXIM

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=079f80d5-903d-41c4-9ebf-6200e426d163&file=section12.pdf
We typically use max at-rest pressure for design of the walls for positive moment (bending inward at midheight of wall) and for negative moment at the corners (when corners are reinforced to create a moment resisting connection). We typically use half the at-rest pressure on the walls as a minimum when designing the top and bottom slabs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back