Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Culverts - Open Channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

renee04

Civil/Environmental
Jan 14, 2004
US
I'm designing a culvert for the first time. All the material I've read on culverts says that I have to decide whether it has inlet or outlet control. Neither the inlet or outlet are submerged. Won't I just consider this an open channel design instead of a culvert?

Thanks for any advice.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well, it depends, Typically there is a constriction at a culvert that will induce a higher headwater than that of the channel. If the culvert is under outlet control that means that the losses of the culvert added to the tailwater give a higher energy elevation at the upstream end than that of the inlet control. I would suggest that you look at FHWA's HDS-5 for insight into culvet analysis. Also if you are in a channel both up & down stream you may want to analyzed the system with HEC-2/RAS.

Good Luck & have fun

Start by determing the flow depth at the downstream end of the culvert, then calculate for both cases, inlet and outlet control. The FHWA publication suggested by Semo will show you how to do this and how to determine which control applies. (It's a free download so just print it out). The inlet and outlet head losses ar to great to ignore, so don't try to treat the culvert as a simple open channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back