Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Curd Settling Tank is imploded during chilled water circulation 2018_update requested

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hans Netherlands

Industrial
Aug 23, 2021
NL
Referring to a 2018 thread: thread124-444189
topic starter US Rao (Mechanical)(OP)

Topic starter has not reacted anymore since 2018, would be interesting to know if the problem was indeed the insufficient vent (inbreathing) capacity.

US Rao, are you still a member?

Here's a youtube film showing what most likely happened.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

US Rao's (Mechanical) Member Profile said:
After joining Eng-Tips Forums on September 15, 2018, I've logged in 20 times. My last login was on Wednesday, October 10, 2018. I've started 1 threads, posted 3 replies, and written 0 FAQs.

Hans, they have not been here in about 3 years.

Good Luck,
Latexman

thanks Latexman, yeah I saw that too. "Funny" thing is that I encounter a similar problem, also with a curd tank.
Problem could be wrong basic tank design (wall thickness versus vent). The supplier does not make a good impression regarding design aspects, tells me "all our curd tanks are like that, so must be ok".....

regards,
Hans

Then, those two incidents provide a good economic basis to specify future curd tanks be designed, built, inspected, and stamped (certified) to an internationally recognized pressure vessel Code, and rated for "full vacuum". That's definitely a corrective action I would recommend.

From the video, it happens extremely fast. I would not size a relief device for that. I would specify the vessel be rated for full vacuum.

Good Luck,
Latexman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back