Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Curing of concrete in hot climate 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sag04

Structural
Jun 5, 2004
AE
I'm working as a civil engineer in Middle east (U A E). here the day temperature is around 44 to 50 o C. What is the most pratical curing I can adopt at this temperature and days of curing for mass concrete,pile caps, Column and slabs. BS 8110 gives some values for curing days but it is limited to two class one between 0 to 10 and second one for 10 to 25 oC. Please help me with your comments. I will be obliged.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Here in India (hot and humid), they are using 14 days curing - water curing. Before, in a sub-tropical, we used 7 days. Whatever, it is imperative that you consistently cure. I have found such a laxity on the parts of all contractors in whom I have run into the last 10 years in this aspect. It is like we have a standard letter of abomination - just fill in the date. Even if you use curing compound, I would augment by water curing as well.
[cheers]

Hi sag04,

CIRIA has a publication called "The CIRIA guide to concrete construction in the Gulf region" written specifically for your neck of the woods.

It provides considerable information about the problems and possible mitigating measures for concrete work in such extreme heat. The best part is the recommendations are simple and it works.

Australia also has an environment for hot weather concreting. I agree that water curing, i.e. ponding, sprinkling, fogging or wet covering (with hessian or sand), would be the best method. I'm not sure about durations though.

A reference paper that may be of interest is "Plastic Shrinkage Cracking and Evaporation Formulas", ACI Materials Journal 95, 1998, pp 365-375.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back