Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Current economy versus Structural Eng firms 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

shacked

Structural
Aug 6, 2007
US
I am curious about what other Structural engineering offices are experiencing as a result of the current economy. We are a small firm < 6 employees located in Southern California and we specialize in custom hillside residential homes, in addition to large scale remodels and some light commercial design.

Currently it seems that we have so much work and the clients are pretty unreasonable about a turn around time. Since we are a small company our owner can't afford to hire any new engineers, therefore as he accepts more projects we become more and more over worked and what seems to be under paid. (<$28.00 hour 5 years experience soon to have P.E.)So now I am feeling like this is getting me nowhere fast since I do not see any other opportunity around this area.

If anyone has any experience that they would like to share or a different view that they would like to share please comment.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You are in a niche market that is doing well now. I have business associates that do custom architectural sheet metal work in that market, and they are reporting an uptick in jobs, from Hollywood to La Jolla.
B.E.

The good engineer does not need to memorize every formula; he just needs to know where he can find them when he needs them. Old professor

Well, I guess that about sums it up. Mike, that is exactly what I intend on doing. In the mean time I guess I don't really have many options since most of the Struct Eng firms are located further inland and I am not willing to do the whole freeway commute thing.

I guess it wouldn't be as bad if I was at least fairly compensated for my extra time I put in, but that isn't the case.

shacked....

The owner of your firm is working against his own best interests.

He should have had available temporary help, in the form of contractors or retirees to get through the crunch.

Hiring only full time staff (or compaining about it and beating on the full-timers) is the sign of management incompetence.

What kind of shape will he be in when competents like yourself(and others ?) decide to quit ? How will the work get done when he has even less staff ?

Employee-at-will laws cut both ways....

My opinion only

shacked,
on several occasions I have asked my employee for a raise. Several of my buddies have done the same thing. We have given good reasons (our engineering skill and experience provides value to the company, etc.) and asked for appropriate raises, one of my buddies even asked for 25% raise (he got 20). We either were given the raise or not, but we were all happy with ourselves to have asked.

If your employer does not give you a raise, you can make an effort to go to another company or begin work on starting your own business (develop a business plan, register a domain name, etc.). My personal philosophy on switching to another company is (as long as I am reasonably happy with the first company) to ask for a raise, promotion, etc. and then quit. Of course, I always have an offer letter or guaranteed opportunity waiting for me before I quit. If I ask for what I want and then quit, they know that they had the opportunity to fix the situation and they blew it. I never give notice and then accept a counter offer. The employer's ego is bruised and the employee should be on guard for layoffs or other retaliation.

bottom line: if you are not happy, ask for something better or look for a better alternative.

Been there, done that. I personally wouldn't work more than 47 hours per week and would let the chips fall where they may in terms of client satisfaction, especially if you dont foresee this as a long term position. If el cheapo boss doesn't want to compensate or hire more engineers, he must pay the price for his decision, not you. If he wants to spot you a bonus, then you could talk about working more hours so he doesn't have to hire someone else.

At your future new job you will wonder why you killed yourself working so many hours at that place...for what, job security? Like he's going to fire an engineer when he cant get the current work done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back