Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Current Transfomer (CT) ratio setting on energy meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobdxcool

Electrical
Apr 7, 2016
IN
I am using a smart energy meter which allows me to set the CT ratio among other parameters. I am using 50/5 ratio AC CT's. For the meter to do the kwh calculation correctly, I believe I have to set primary CT ratio to 50 and secondary CT ratio to 5. Now, if I have two rounds of the same 120 volt wire passing through the same CT, then I would set secondary ratio to 100. My question is, will this be equivalent to have just one round of wire through the CT and the primary ratio set to 50 , i.e the kwh calculated by the meter will still be right and I would'nt have to do any manipulations on the values obtained from the meter.

Meter Data sheet:
[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.elmeasure.com/downloads/pg_5310.pdf[/url]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

50:5 with two passes on the primary is 25:5
One pass- 50:5, 50 Amps primary = 5 Amps secondary.
Two passes, 25 Amps primary = 5 Amps secondary.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

You are confusing things by referring to a CT primary ratio and secondary ratio. The meter inputs are the CT primary rating and the CT secondary rating. With 2 passes, the CT primary is 25. The CT secondary is 5. The ratio is 25:5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back