Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Currently running mix of E85 in 2001 F250 5.4 V8

Status
Not open for further replies.

9650STS

Agricultural
Sep 30, 2005
US
For the last 6 months, I have been filling my tank on a regular basis with roughly 7 gallons of E85 and 19 gallons of E10. I assume I am correct that this provides nearly a 30% ethanol blend.

The truck runs the same, and the mileage is not discernable to me. I am making a further assumption that at 30%, I am not harming susceptible parts in fuel pump, or lines anywhere. I have read for is coming out with a flex 5.4 this year; if so, I will replace the fuel pump with the one designed for that truck.

I would like advice on the pros or cons of my actions, and possibly results others have had. Particularly, if ZNorwood is out there, I would be interested in his opinion.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One of my M.E. friends is doing something similar. He is running 30% E85 with 70% 87 octane unleaded in a 92 Ford van with the 300 cu.in. six. So far so good.

Per my post in the E85 fuel thread, I have been running high ethanol mixes of E85 and gasoline for about 2 years in a 2002 Subaru WRX with no problems of any kind, as have some of my friends.

Larry

Why? Seems like a lot of trouble, using two pumps and doing math to fill up. What is gained? What am I missing?

Money !! and performance.

E85 sells for 40 cents a gallon less than regular gasoline, where I live and is 105 octane which my turbocharged car absolutely loves. If I bought 100 octane unleaded gasoline I would be paying nearly $6.00/gallon.

E85 $2.49
Regular $2.81
Premium $3.19 <---- what I should be running

16 gallon tank of Premium = $51.04 per fill

10 gallons of regular = $28.10
6 gallons of ------E85 = 14.94
total ----------------- $43.04 --- net savings $8.00 per tank.

10 gallons of 87 octane (10*87) = 870
6 gallons E85 (6*105) = 630
870+630 = 1500
1500/16 = 94 octane ( my local pump premium is 91 octane)

Larry

Hotrod and I are on the same page. My truck gets 10-14 MPG, and saving a few bucks on fill up is worth it.

Thanks for the responses from all of you. Blacksmith, where are you from?

In addition, I am a farmer in Illinois. Corn usage in the United States is mostly for cattle and chicken feed (about half), while another 15-20% is exported and another 15% is used for ethanol. The remainder is surplus / carryover. Corn price is near 10 year lows right now. Without ethanol, I hate to think where our price would be.

We can grow more corn. As South America expands soybean production, we will be forced to plant other crops, and corn is the easiest to switch to.

I'm in Virginia, we don't have E85 locally. I'm originally from Upstate NY, near Canada, don't remember seeing E85 up there either when I go up for fall foilage. Anyway, my vehicles all run happily on 87 octane. Good answer to my question.

Blacksmith

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back