Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Curvature Continuity

Status
Not open for further replies.

antran7

Mechanical
Sep 6, 2002
US
What's the best way to make a C2 curve connect two other curves?

Curve through points work. But it's a pain to tweak this curve (at least it in my my version of WF2) - since you can't drag the control points of a C2 you have to go back to just tangency, drag the single control point, and then go back to curvature to see if you like. rinse&repeat until you get a curve you like.

There's got to be a better way.

Cheers!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You won't be able to modify the tweak control point adjacent to the end of the curve with the curvature constraint, but assuming the other end is free you should be able to tweak that control point.

If both ends of the curve are set to be curvature continuous with other connecting curves then you will have to add some additional interpolation points (otherwise known in ProE as style points). This can be done in the Tweak dialog for the curves by selecting the button to the right (it does not appear to have name) and choosing the "Add" radio button in the "Style Points" section of the dialog.

This should give you the ability then to tweak a curve in which both ends are curvature continuous.

Hope this helps,

Steve

thanks for you help. i tried your advice, and was able to add points. but i couldn't move them. all it allowed me to do was delete the ones i added or redistribute them.

are you able to move added point and refine the C2 curve?

thanks
an

i'm making a curve through points

more specifically:
insert/model datum/curve
thru points(default)/done
spline(default)/whole array (default)
select the two curve end pionts I'm trying to C2 connect/done
tangency/make both end points tangent to curves
curvature/then i can select the curvature check box

after that, i'm locked into that curve. even after trying you r technique of changing the spline type in 'tweak'

thanks again!

I tried to recreate your situation by creating two curves in space and then a 4 point array in space where the 1st point in the array was at the endpoint of curve 1 and the last point in the array was at the endpoint of curve 2.

The error message I received when trying to tweak the curve was this: "Tweak can only be performed on a spline curve through two points."

So it appears that if you want C2 continuity between your array of points and the two other curve (or edges) you will have to create two additional spline curves at both ends of the point array.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back