Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Curve fitting of hyperelastic materials

Status
Not open for further replies.

lowellsmoger

Mechanical
Jul 24, 2008
US
ANSYS seems to curve fit biaxial stress-strain data very well up to 90% (and calculate representative coefficients for the Mooney Rivlin model).

Yet when I extract data from the equibiaxial region of my planar biaxial simulation, ANSYS estimates stresses not in line with the curve I used to generate the coefficients.

The extracted data looks more like the typical hyperelastic material ( but as you can see in the attachment, the curve does not stiffen before 90%.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The Mooney Rivlin material model does not stiffen at high strains when loaded in plane strain or uniaxial tension. You have to select a material model that has that stifferning feature (which is very common for elastomers). Try the Arruda-Boyce model for example.

Also, when curve fitting stress-strain data, I believe it is better to use all your experimental data (uniaxial, biaxial, etc.) and find the best fit for all the curves combined.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back