Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Cusp height to Surface roughness in Ra calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderbird336

Mechanical
May 16, 2013
US
This seems like it would be an easy thing to find the answer for but after many hours of searching I cannot come up with it. I can easily calculate the cusp height for machining a surface with a ball endmill and a given stepover but I cannot find a formula for calculating the theoretical surface finish in Ra. A coworker told me that dividing the cusp height by 4 gives the Ra and that seems to be right, it is supported by what I find from calculators on the Internet, but is it exact? And if it is right how is that an average?

I've seen a few formulas using an integral (I think, I have forgotten my calculus, unfortunately) but I can't figure out how to use that to try it. I've found simpler formulas that say something like Ra = (m1 + m2 + m3 + m4)/4 but in my case I have just one value, of course, that answer would just be the exact same cusp height.

I would sure appreciate some help with this, this keeps coming up and I feel so uneasy not understanding it.

Thanks in advance,
Gary

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You do realize that Ra is an average, so "exact" is not a thing, here.

see:
The integral realistically only applies to a semi-continuous function, and it's unlikely you'd ever have that in a real measurement. For real measurements, the summation equation is used, and for a high enough density of measurements, the results should be close, but never "exact."

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Do you have a copy of ASME B46.1?
The title is Wave and Lay, not roughness.
There are ways to approximate an R value for a regular machined surface.
But you need to look at the base equations.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

IRstuff said:
You do realize that Ra is an average, so "exact" is not a thing, here.

Yes, I do, my question was about the theoretical surface finish calculation, I don't expect the result to be exact. I didn't want to use a formula that was just an approximation if there was something more exact. We are milling these parts in a fairly small tolerance for surface roughness so it helps to have a good starting point. It takes quite a long time to mill, check, reprogram, mill and check again. Thank you for your reply, though.

EdStainless said:
Do you have a copy of ASME B46.1?

I do not currently have one; I will start looking for one though. I bought a copy of David Whitestone's "Surfaces and Their Measurements" and it has helped get me a lot closer to the answer. Between the book and some other technical papers that I found it seems that Ra was formerly CLA or "Centerline Average". How to calculate that centerline is where I am at right now... most seem to say that it is based on the area defined by peaks and valleys. Since I am working with a ballnose endmill, that will just be two peaks and one valley comprised of a semi-circle with a known radius and depth, if I am understanding this correctly. Does this sound right to you?

Thank you for your reply.

Best regards, Gary

Thunderbird336

This may or may not be useful information. there are sample gages sold that have the standard roughness. eg 250. 125. 63. 32 16. & 8
for visual reference, sold at McMaster Carr, and for actual values use a profilometer. make life easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back