Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Custom decorative film application in aircraft interior surface

Status
Not open for further replies.

heinessen

Aerospace
Nov 15, 2015
KR
Hello.

I am a new engineer of airline company.
My company has a plan to apply custom decorative film to cabin interior surface like below.
DECORATIVE_FILM_lm86rb.jpg

But we are concerning if this plan could violate some regulations related to aircraft safety.
I understand that this decorative film should meet flammability requirement stated in FAR 25 but I am wondering if another process except flammability test should be done to comply with FAA requirement such as 8110-3 or minor change approval.
It would be appreciated if anyone could advise me on this subject.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think I can see placards on these partitions. Are they still visible, and are they still NOTICEABLE by the general public.
It's one thing to put up a sign - it's quite another to make it obvious and legible so that the message will be received.
The two arrows that I can see are perhaps for the crew... location of safety equipment, so maybe not such a big problem.
If the pattern of the illustration was more intrusive on the preferred placard location, however, you still wouldn't be in compliance with reg's.

Otherwise, once the sample of partition has passed flammability tests (as you've mentioned) I don't see a big problem. I get the feeling you've already had an earful about flammability...
But for the sake of completeness, consider vertical 12-second burn, and heat release AND smoke release test - preventing you from getting away with a "minor change approval" that you are hoping to get.
Whether or not these prints require a substantial change in the type of material used may not matter if an inspector or FAA official puts his/her foot down and insists that this is too "novel" to be passed without all tests being done first.

Colourful wallpaper aside... The curtain that closes the partition also covers the EXIT sign. Maybe there's another just cropped out of the photo.
Take a walk through your cabin again and make sure you can see a suitable EXIT sign when the curtain is closed.

I like the wallpaper idea. The style may put the kids more at ease. Good luck!

STF

Who's the OEM for the aircraft you are installing in. If its a Boeing, the applicable boeing spec for is BMS10-26N "PLASTIC FILM FOR MARKERS".

One of the products on the QPL of the aforementioned spec for FAR25 interiors is 3M Control Tac 180 which is a common as muck material that is typically used on truck sides (so cheap, commonly available & easy to print on). How many aircraft do you intend to install it on, if its several (return on design time verse total installation time / cost) I would be inclined to duplicate the safety decals onto the wall cover, then you don't have to worry about the decals failing off etc.

heinessen

Suggest checking out following documents... might be useful.

FAA
AC20-38 Measurement of Cabin Interior Emergency Illumination in Transport Airplanes
AC20-168 Certification Guidance for Installation of Non-Essential, Non-Required Aircraft Cabin Systems & Equipment (CS&E)
AC20-178 Flammability Testing of Aircraft Cabin Interior Panels After Alterations
AC25-17 Transport Airplane Cabin Interiors Crashworthiness Handbook

SAE
AIR512 Aircraft Cabin Illumination
ARP997 Installation and Stowage Provisions for Emergency Equipment in the Transport Aircraft Passenger Cabin
AMS3146 Coating, Interior Aircraft Cabin Low Heat and Smoke Release

ASTM F2109 Standard Test Method to Determine Color Change and Staining Caused by Aircraft Maintenance Chemicals upon Aircraft Cabin Interior Hard Surfaces

Regards, Wil Taylor

o Trust - But Verify!
o We believe to be true what we prefer to be true. [Unknown]
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation,Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", Homebuiltairplanes.com forum]

In my opinion, the particular image shown is a clear violation of any accepted aesthetic standards. I can't imagine having to spend several hours looking at that display. Thank goodness passengers are facing the opposite direction when seated.

Did someone actually think covering the walls of a commercial aircraft cabin with images like this was a good idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back