Custom Gear Involute Cutter

Status
Not open for further replies.

md0501

Mechanical
Aug 4, 2021
US
Hello,

I am looking to get a custom involute gear cutter made for a 0.4 module, 20PA tooth profile. I have a local shop that can do tool grinding, but needs exact geometry for the cutter in order to make it. Is there a way to find/calculate what this geometry would be for the cutter? Or if anybody knows a good source to buy 20PA 0.4 module cutters that would also be appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

md0501,

Go to Google and look for "gear hobs 0.4 module". Is there any reason you cannot subcontract this to someone who has the tooling?

--
JHG

I have looked for the hobs online quite a bit but they are difficult to find except on ebay, which I question the quality a little bit.

I would prefer to subcontract but with the lead times I have received so far it is much faster to do with my company in house machine shop if we can get the tooling quick

You can make them from a straight-sided tooth. I assume you are looking for a form tool that is suitable for some small range of teeth in a circular gear and used with an indexing head. It's more complicated with a straight sided tooth; one coordinates the rotation of the blank with side motion of the straight-sided tooth.

for cutting tools go to broach masters, Gleason cutting tools, koepfer , do search for custom made hobs and shaper cutters. ask for expedited charge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back