Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Custom Macro Creation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartinBellehumeur

Industrial
May 21, 2008
CA
Hey Gang,

Wanted to know if anybody has experience in Macro creation?

What I'm looking for right now is the required language (I'm guessing VB or VB.NET?), a good compiler and the possibility of finding a catalog of functions or even tutorials if they exist.

As always, your help is much appreciated!

Cheers,
Martin

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I’ve been experimenting with customization for a couple of months and have had some really good results. I use Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition (free from MS)

My main sources for info was from this site, best to register to get the downloads, but the people here are really clued up.

DonYoung, from this site is also a great source of info.

Beachcomber here also posted a link to the SE developers/programmers manual

One you’ve registered with Jason Newell’s website go here to find virtually everything you may require or just search the forum

Martin,

there is some documentation available from UGS. But it
is rather outdated as it refers to V9 -- the cover says
V15, however (V15_ProgrammersGuide_MU28000.pdf) and I
don't know where to find it now on their site.
You may find some samples (written in VB6) by looking into
SE --> Help --> Programming with SolidEdge, this along
with the object browser in VB is the only dcoumentation
that's available -- the rest is 'trial 'n error'.
Jason Newell's site, mentioned above, is a good source
when using VB.NET or Express. When it's VB6 you might
find a lot of programs here: most have
the source included when this is not the case I think
that you can ask for it.

dy

I think I have the V15 programming guide in pdf format - I can post it if you want it.
If you use VB6 it will be OK, but if you use the Express or .NET versions you will find some things are out of date.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Ok, so my kids are right - I'm getting old and confused and my memory and eyesight are failing !!!.
(Even older now as today is my birthday)

[bdaycandle]

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Well Happy Birthday Beachcomber!! Another year of widsdom and knowledge to put under the ol' belt.

Thanks to all for your responses! That PDF is sure to come in handy, even if it's just for reference.

I was thinking of using the new Express 2008. I'm guessing it's just more up-to-date than Express 2005?

As for the language, I know limited VB, put I'm pretty fluent in C, C++, Lisp, Prolog and medium Java. So I'm guessing .NET will mostly resemble VB and C++? Anyways, that's a bit off topic as I'll end up going through Microsoft's tutorials for Express 2008...

Again, thanks for all your help!

Cheers,
Martin

Hi Martin,

Jason Newell is also fluent in C too, hence most of his examples are in both VB & C. I believe MS do an express version of that too.

Once you start customization is quite easy and addictive. I've mainly used it for mainipulating file properties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back