Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Custom Property BOM Quantity

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjake1966

Aerospace
Nov 13, 2007
US
I'm trying to figure out how to use the BOM Quantity drop down
in the Custom Property page of Summary information to display
something other then a numerical quantity in the quantity column of a BOM.

My understanding is that this can be accomplished with the BOM quantity drop down, but for the life of me I can't get it to work.

Here's how I think it should work so follow my steps and tell me what I'm missing, please.

1)Create part file (sldprt) named "Grease" (you probably see where I'm going with this).
2) Add Custom property named 'STRING' (still just testing this, name will be changed later).
3) Assign 'STRING' a value of A/R.
4) Set BOM Quantity drop down to "STRING" (save prt)
5) Create an assembly file (sldasm) named "Test"
6) insert part "Grease".
7) Insert BOM template. (sldbomtbt)
8) BOM still contains a numerical quantity in the QTY column.
A/R is no where to be seen.

I thought that the BOM quantity drop down was supposed to allow you to override the BOM tables qty column to read other then a number? What the heck am I missing?

Thanks in advance

PS. I have tried to create a custom BOM by added the "STRING" column and hiding the QTY column, but the QTY column returns every time instead of staying hidden.

Nvidia Quatro FX 1400
8.0 GB RAM
AMD Phenom 9850 Quad core @ 2.50Ghz
SW2010 SP4.0
Win 7 64bit

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

@Kellnerp,

And yet, according to SW, it is "supposed" to be usable in that format? See "Type = Text" in the example below directly from the
SW Db.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Solution Id: S-017371

Product: SolidWorks 2007 Network

Updated: 3/3/2010 6:56:00 PM

Area: Part

Sub-Area: Other Features

Question: What is the function of the bill of materials, "BOM Quantity" drop down menu in File, Properties?

Answer:
This meun allows users to define a custom property that will be used to drive the QTY column in the bill of materials.

For example:

- Open a part and select File -> Properties
- Go to the custom or configuration specific tab and define a Property: Name = Override_QTY, Type = Text, Value = 5
- In the BOM Quantity menu, select "Override_QTY"

When a bill of materials of an assembly that contains this part is created, the QTY column will display a value of 5.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yes I realize that this specific example calls out a numerical value,
but in theory it is using a format type of "text" which should allow any string value, right?
My VAR seems to indicate that it should work this way, but it doesn't on my machine, which could indicate some other kind of problem, not necessarily with SW.

I'm just trying to figure it out and wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something simple.

Any thoughts?

Nvidia Quatro FX 1400
8.0 GB RAM
SW2010 SP4.0
Win 7 64bit

It's one of those things that works as the specific example and not according to SW own variable typing scheme. When I use 5 it works, when I use "A/R" it reverts to the actual part count.

Thanks for letting us know what you are running on.

I suppose I should add my info to:

SW2009 64 bit SP3
Phenom II X6 1100T
8GB
FX1400
Win XP 64

CSWP, BSSE

"Node news is good news."

Kellnerp,

That was exactly the result that I was getting, but the documentation seemed to indicate that it could work.

I wasn't sure if it was a bug or possibly something with my set up.

Thanks for the help.

Nvidia Quatro FX 1400
8.0 GB RAM
SW2010 SP4.0
Win 7 64bit

SolidWorks documentation is famous for specification hidden in example. Programmers aren't engineers and won't realize that a user defined quantity could in fact be A/R (as required). Even if you gave a quantity like 30 ml grease as an average number the BOM couldn't handle a quantity specified with units. It would probably be a good practice to figure in a quantity so the ERP folks can order enough grease though.

QTY is a special bird in a BOM. Try to change the QTY heading in a BOM and you get a special message which indicates it is handling parameters programaticly in, perhaps, a non-standard way.

CSWP, BSSE
Phenom II x6 1100T = XP64 = 8GB = FX1400 = SW2009 SP3

The reason it has to be a number to work is because it's really a multiplier, not an override. So if you have, say, a gasket, and it's made out of 0.6 feet of gasket material. You would put 0.6 as the BOM qty custom property. Then, if you used 3 of those gaskets in the assembly, the qty would show up as 1.8.

-handleman, CSWP (The new, easy test)

handleman said:
The reason it has to be a number to work is because it's really a multiplier, not an override.
This is speculative logic. It makes sense if you think about it, but A/R would still be appropriate from a user standpoint. The real issue is that the documentation is lacking in definition of functionality. Implicit in the term Override is the sense that anything can be inserted. I don't know if you tested the multiplier functionality, but that is quite different from the sense of the word Override. Why couldn't the help then say:

Code:
[i]Override_QTY[/i] is a multiplier which will be used to multiply the actual quantity of the part in an assembly. An [i]Override_QTY[/i] may only be a number; text, dates or booleans will default to a simple count of one.

CSWP, BSSE
Phenom II x6 1100T = XP64 = 8GB = FX1400 = SW2009 SP3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back