Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Custom Property linked to Part number

Status
Not open for further replies.

mannhummel

Mechanical
Jun 11, 2004
US
I have a custom property (MNF_NO) that I would like to change to reflect the models file name. I can get it to show in the parts file properties using ($PRP:"SW-File Name") but when I use that part in an assembly and insert a parts BOM it doesn't show the parts file name but displays the words '$PRP:"SW-File Name"'. Can anyone help with this because I would like to MNF_NO to change when the part changes names?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

On the ConfigurationManager, if you open the properties for the configuration at the bottom of the opening screen you can specify what appears in the BOM's.

thanks but what I need is a way to tie that information (Document Name) to a custom property (MNF_NO) for the BOM because I don't need the part number for every part.

Which BOM are you using? The Excel BOM or the SW BOM?

If your using the SW BOM try this:

1) create your BOM the way you nomally do (this is the .sldbomtbt extension)

2) select your BOM where the part number (the nomanclature in the BOM) is you want to change.

3) select "column properties" in the config manager

4) go to customer property and use the pull down tab.

5) select your desired custom property.

6) the changed is now made in your BOM

That should do it if I'm understanding you correctly.

Good Luck,

Macduff
Meggitt Airdynamics Inc.

Your problem with the $PRP:"Property" appearing in the BOM is a bug and was fixed on a temp basis in SP4.1 for SW2004.

I just installed my SW2005 package and it is now back again. The fix request is in with our VAR, but it may take some time to get dolled up in 2005.

wtait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back