Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Customize middle mouse to rotate/orbit instead of pan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milrtime83

Mechanical
Aug 4, 2006
US
Is there a way to change the middle mouse button to rotate instead of pan the part?

The only thing close to a solution I've found is to map the middle button to F4 but then I still have to press the middle and left buttons for it to work. I want to be able to just press the middle mouse button to rotate.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I searched for the exact same thing when I first started into Inventor. I haven't found anything (in 2008 at least) that will work better than what you described - mapping the F4 key. Other folks at my office have 'solved' this by requesting 3d spacetracker mice.

Boo Inventor for not giving us full control over our own input devices.

Anyone who uses 3d CAD MUST have a 3d motion controller like the 3d connexion space navigator... Trust me.. best $99 ever spent. Get one problem solved..and you will work faster guaranteed...

Seems silly to rotate (which can be a complete 3d motion)using a 2d input tool like a scroll wheel

I've looked into the space navigator type controllers and understand their benefits but it seems odd that it isn't possible to change the mouse button controls. I'm coming from a Solidworks background and now that I think about it, I'm not sure if you can change its middle mouse button to anything besides rotate either.

I wonder if Inventor pans because 2D Autocad pans and they didn't want to change the function of the middle button.

Regarding the space navigator...The $99 one wouldn't work for me because I would constantly be going back and forth between it and my keyboard to use shortcuts. I can't justify the price for the higher end ones with more buttons and my company won't spend that much either.

Seriously? That is reason enough to switch to 2010 right there. I've heard that we'll be upgrading soon anyways but now I can't wait!

I know this isn't really the place for it - but is there anything else in 2010 that helps model rotation and view control like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back