Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Customize the File New Menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanoa9321

Automotive
Nov 13, 2005
US
I am trying to customize the menu when you go File > New.

When the menu opens and you select model and select one of the items, down below it has two boxes:
Name:
Folder:

How do I go about adding a box for Description and then assigning it to an attribute?

A previous job had this, and it was super helpful because when making a part if you knew the part description, you didn't have to go into the attributes and fill it out later.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If this is possible, I would also be interested in it.

Is there a chance you were in Team Center for the other job that had it? I find that if I start a new file in Team Center, I can click an "Alternate Attributes" button and the File properties window will open to allow us to fill out other attributes. I don't see any ability to do that in Native. It would come in handy though if it is available.

We were on teamcenter, but the box was exactly where I described above.
When in NX you would go File > New, pick model and then enter the part number and description.

Im hoping that even if its a teamcenter thing:
1. That New Menu can still be edited
2. If it could write the data to teamcenter, why couldn't it write it to an attribute.

Crossing my fingers

If NX works the same still as it did when I used it, check out User Exits. It allows you to modify the menus that are presented to the user. I had GRIP programs that replaced the File commands (Open, Svae, Save-As, New) with custom menus. Very handy for prompting the user for attributes you wanted in all of your files.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back