Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cuts in Light Pole Base Plate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I did a lot of substation and large diameter utility pole design for SDG&E. It's just one of the ways the electric utility industry does things that is unwritten so far as I know. I'm in Southern California in case this is a regional thing.

Bob

well friend ask the reason not whether you have seen it or not
well i would be honored to know if any one knows the reason so every one would be benefited by that i guess.........!!!

Given the amount of welding and hot dip galvanizing, I wouldn't be surprised if the base plate would curl if it didn't have this tear.

Therefor, maybe it's there to ensure that that base plate can yield enough so as to be tightly sandwhiched between the leveling nut and tightening nut during its' erection.

I am skeptical about wheather reasons is Southern climates as there is no frost and corrosion is not an issue at it is galvanized.

I thought the cuts were to allow for automatic cutting from plate, but drainage sounds like a good reason too. These don't comply with normal bolt hole details but are common for poles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back