Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cutting a 10kV bus bar 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnicksJets

Electrical
Jul 12, 2002
US
We have to cut a small section (about 3 feet) of our non-seggregated 10 kV bus bar (all three phases) since the ends are not aligning with the bar holes at the generator end (other end of the bus bar is connected to the transformer low voltage bushing stubs). Instead of cutting the bar at the end and machining new holes, we want to cut it in the middle and reconnect it (bolt or weld). The alignment issue came because of wrong calculation on dimension (this is a new installation).
Does anybody see any problem with cutting the middle section of the bus bar and reconnecting it?
Much appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Copper is a nightmare to weld, especially in the field, which from a practical point of view leaves you with making a bolted joint. A bolted joint is never going to be as good as a solid bar, which is what you would have if you drilled the bar end. Is it a particularly awkward task to drill the bar?

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Good point Bill, aluminium would be a lot easier to deal with. Oops!

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

one thing i had done with the same problem last year that joint the two bus bar segment with flexiable bar but the section was of ngr,in case of outgoing which carry havey current, any patch give you local heating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back