Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cutting a small hole in thick material

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshparker

Industrial
Jun 7, 2012
US
Hey guys, I am currently cutting a hole with a diameter of around .2 in 1/2 inch steel. I'm getting them cut but they are far from pretty. Anyone more experienced than I have any suggestions? My cond. are 2200 W 30 imp .8 gas pressure nozzle focus gap of .06 with -.03 in the material and .03 nozzle gap.

thanks for your help

-Josh-

Parker Industries

parkerindustriesinc.com

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

GENERALLY I THOUGHT YOU WERE NOT ABLE TO LASER A HOLE THAT IS SMALLER THAN THE THICKNESS OF THE MATERIAL. I NOTICED THAT WITH CERTAIN THICKNESSES AND CERTAIN SIZED HOLES I WAS ABLE TO GET IT TO WORK AND COME OUT NICE BUT GENERALLY WE JUST DRILL THE HOLE. I DON'T LASER ANYTHING THICKER THAN .375 INCH MATERIAL SO I'M NOT REALLY FAMILIAR WITH THE MANUFACTURING PROCESS FOR MATERIAL THAT THICK.

I don't recognize all of your parameter terms, but I'd think a short pulse width and low duty cycle would give you the best result.
If you need pretty holes, you might be happier just drilling them...

It's not a matter of "supposed to", just that the steel will burn pretty easily in such a small hole- as you cut around, the slug can get hot and burn, That tends to blow the hole out at the same time.

Jay Maechtlen

0.2" is big enough of a hole for a drill, which ought to be quicker than nibbling at it with a laser.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

If you gave us more information. such as what machine you were using, maybe someone here could help you. i have cut 0,125" holes in 1/2" mild steel and regularly cut 0.209" holes in up to 3/4 stainless with an amada 4000w machine

Pre-pierce. I find that this solves most of the problems with small holes. Also, pulse with 400-500 Hertz and about 65 duty. By combining these two strategies we once cut 11/32 holes in 3/4 plate for about three hours with a 6K PRC.

Hello Foster laser

I have the same problem using a PRC laser 4000w and a Mazak laser head witha 7.5" focus lens
we are cutting material .250" to .500" we have more problem with .500" in 3/8 small holes

Iam Using these parameters.

2.0 nozzle
90 feed rate
90% power

My question is?

Nozzle size?
Power feed rate?
parameters?
Focus how I can measure?

Thanks
Regards.

Cutting carbon steel? A smaller nozzle would be a great start. You will pierce cleaner. Also pierce all of the holes first and then go back and cut them. 2400W .05-.06 Mpa. Also pulsing can help. Try about 3500W, 400 hertz, 70 Duty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back