Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cutting brass on an FOM 3015 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

striker12300

Mechanical
Mar 8, 2016
US
Just wondering if anybody has cut brass on their 3015. It's .010" thick. If so, what are your cutting conditions? Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

15 years ago we used Amada's condition for brass with our 3015 and took out our output coupler. It looked like it was hit with a hammer so I would not do what we did.

Ya. I know we're not suppose to cut that stuff, but try and tell that to the owner who saw our old LCS 655 cut brass all the time with no trouble. 1500 watts can do it but 4000 can't?

At the risk of posing a conflict of interest, I say its doable. That's pretty thin. Your not asking too much.

Sometimes I state the obvious. That may be the case here. The problem with cutting brass isn't when its cutting, it when its not cutting that things get cooked. Your operator has to watch it, stand right there when its being cut, and make sure the be beam is going through the material. If it looses its cut, that's when things get ugly in a hurry.

Again with the obvious. If there is money to be made cutting brass then I would do it. If the owner is willing to pay someone to stand there and hover over the stop button, if he/she understands that if there is serious reflection, yes, the output coupler or the focus lens could burn up. If the profit is greater than the cost of clean up, then go for it. We don't want all those fancy fiber lasers steeling our CO2 work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back