Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cutting carbon fiber honeycomp panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

thruthefence

Aerospace
May 11, 2005
US
I have scavanged a large amount of scrap panels from a composite shop's dumpster, and was wondering if there was a "shade tree" method of cutting the material.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thruthefence,
If you just want to cut them to size, an electric grinder with an abrasive cut off wheel will work just fine.
Put your paper suit on and wear a good dust mask.
If they start gumming up the cutoff wheel, you may have just discovered why they were in the dumpster in the first place.
Another method is to use a jigsaw with a Remington gritedge blade in it. Then if you really want to go uptown use a Kett saw with a diamond blade.
B.E.

I'd get a dust mask and some good goggles and go to town with a circular saw (fine blade, like 60T or 80T) and use a good square piece of lumber as a guide... but thats' just me...

Wes C.
------------------------------
When they broke open molecules, they found they were only stuffed with atoms. But when they broke open atoms, they found them stuffed with explosions...

An abrasive blade in a table saw or circular saw will work. It is important to not get the epoxy hot enough to turn rubbery or the cut will be terrible. It is best to cut very quickly or very slowly. Also water cooling works and helps to keep down dust but wet carbon is very corrosive to steel and you have keep water off mottors.

Hey Berk, My bad I was thinking Dremel and typed NC. Sorry.

But a Dremel is handy for small cuts.

Composites and Airplanes - what was I thinking?

There are gremlins in the autoclave!

If you're doing a lot of cutting, I would suggest using an air-powered die grinder with a cut-off wheel. Carbon dust can short out electric motors. Whatever the method I would also recommend having an assistant with a shop vac on-hand to keep the dust in check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back