Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cutting composites material parts with

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatNV

Mechanical
Mar 26, 2014
CA
Hi everybody,

I need to cut Fiberglass-Epoxy and Carbon fiber-epoxy parts for thickness inspection in inaccessible place of the parts. I was planning doing so using a wet cutting tile saw with either a diamond blade or an abrasive type one. However, I would need to have some suggestions about the type of saw that should be use for this purpose. I found one that looks interesting to me: MK Diamond TX-3 Wet Cutting Tile Saw

The water mist on the blade should keep the part cold while cutting, but I wonder if any brand of wet cutting saw are made specifically for cutting composites. What HP should I have if I want it to run fine through the part? (Thickness are somewhere between 1/8 and 1/4 of an inch.

So, my questions are:
-Are there any brands that make table saw to specifically cut carbon fiber and fiber glass epoxy parts?
-Is the MKdiamond saw I am actually looking for seems like a good one for my application?

Thank you very much for giving me your inputs and sharing your experience.

Best regards,

Pat
Mechanical Eng.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For straight-line cutting of composites, I think tile saws are hard to beat. They give a good cut edge, hold decent tolerances when necessary, and are comparatively economical.

I have used a few different tile saw brands (target and husqvarna), but never MK. That said, the MK Model you identify looks like it'll do the trick....plenty enough there to cut a 1/4" thickness.

A few other thoughts...for reference:
•Make sure the blade is "wet" type (uniform cutting edge around the circumference). Stay away from the wet/dry or dry blades.
•Tile saws will hold quite nice tolerances (easily less than 0.005" variance when using a good fence to cut 1" wide test coupons). On some saws you'll have to improve the tray/slider mechanism to get there though.
•Although the edge quality is nice, secondary operations may have to be performed depending on your goal. For example: I don't know what you mean by "thickness inspection", but if microscopy is part of it, plan on a polishing operation; for end loaded compression testing, I'd use a tile saw for specimen width/length cuts, but then I'd mill the specimen ends to get a nice smooth square edge; etc.

Pat-

Ironically enough, in between my previous post and today, I have found myself in the market for another tile saw to cut composites. Having never used an MK, I was wondering if you ended up purchasing it and whether you had any thoughts in relation to its performance.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back