Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cutting Fluid Advice 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highpower30X

Military
Dec 16, 2008
US
Is there anyone here that could give me some good advice on cutting fluids. I'm looking for a good cutting fluid that can be used in mist and flood systems for all purpose machining (Conventional). I'm also looking for suggestions for a fluid that does not evaporate or go rancid quickly like soluble oils do as I'm stationed in the desert were summer time temps regularly reach above 110 F. Something that will not cause problems with EPA and can be used with all metals associated with aircraft. I'm in the military and only looking for suggestions and will probably have to go with a stock number or a local purchase were I'm at. Would a semi synthetic be the way to go and is there any thing out there that does not have to be mixed with water. Please, all suggeations will be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As you already know it gets complicated. You might consider straight oil. Sorry I really can’t recommend a supplier. We are looking for one ourselves and nobody stands out so far.

We have our coolant book online at:

You might try posting on practicalmachinist.com

I think your real answer might be in whoever can support you best.

Tom

Thomas J. Walz
Carbide Processors, Inc.

Good engineering starts with a Grainger Catalog.

i agree with Tom that a straight oil might be the answer - as long as your coolant requirements are met. however, misting may be a problem with straight oil. another possibility to consider is dry machining - with soft materials that may be possible. you might also consider using only a minimal amount of fluid once only.

the best way to go around it, is talking to a knowledgable supplier on site to take all relevant aspects of your particular processes into account.

There are several coolants on the market specifically designed for misting but the very nature of them is that they are designed to evaporate quickly and completely -

The link below will take you to a series of technical bulletins several of which deal with the advantages and disadvantages of different types of fluid and fluid application methods.

If you want of need more specific information we will need to understand many different parameters including
the material and machines in use
the operations being done
the tools in use
the water available --
filtration in use
etc.

A.R. "Andy" Nelson
Engineering Consultant
anelson@arnengineering.com

Random point, but if you do end up choosing a coolant that is water-based (semi-synthetic, oil emulsion, etc.) have your water tested for hardness. Then see if it falls within the acceptable range of the coolants. My machining team leader switched from an oil emulsion to a semi-synthetic a year ago to save $. We didn't have the water tested (lesson #1). When we started to see coolant issues where it wouldn't stay in solution, we called the coolant supplier. He sent an additive to that changes the salts in hard water to soaps. Coolant consumption problem solved...but enter a big corrosion issue. That additive that formed soaps trapped free iron particles and non-converted minerals to the surface of the parts. The corrosion took awhile to form...just long enough to sit on my customer's dock so that when he opened up the box he had parts with surface rust.

Being that you're looking to run this on a bunch of different metals, you may have to adjust your cleaning procedures for the coolant you select.

The point about the water is critical as the coolant concentrate is basically used to "treat" the water to make it do something totally foreign to it -- e.g. 10% coolant concentrate replacing straight oil -- think about the water as being approximately 90% of the finished product -- good quality water will go a long way to keeping you out of trouble.

you are also gong to want to mix the fluid properly -- always add the coolant to the water, and pre mix the fluid with fresh pure water before adding it to the sump and control the concentration - an optical refractometer is easiest but there are other methods as well.

A.R. "Andy" Nelson
Engineering Consultant
anelson@arnengineering.com

You might also look at digital refractometers. They are much easier to use in uncertain light and wearing safety gear of any kind. Most places seem to mandate eye protection any more.

I have an Atago PAL-1 that works pretty well. There are much better.

Tom

Thomas J. Walz
Carbide Processors, Inc.

Good engineering starts with a Grainger Catalog.

Have you considered utilizing cold air as a coolant for your application? I currently use mist coolant which is Acculube-2000. It is primarily a vegetable oil (bio-degradable and all) and it works pretty good and is much less expensive than flood coolant. However, I am seriously considering changing over to the cold air product because I can use it on both cast iron and aluminum products.

Larry

All cutting coolant/oil is a enviormantal hazzard there is no way around it. Use a reliable hazmat collector to deal with the waste.
Having said that, give Trimsol E206 a try. Costs about $80 to $90 per 5 gal concentrate from Rutland. Use a refractometer to maintain around a 7% mix ratio. Also try Grotan anti-bacterial concentrate also from Rutland. Use sparingly about .01% per 50 gal.
Do check your water's ph -it's a good idea to start out with stable water, you might also try de-ionized water. Straight oil is a messy nightmare in a mister as are most colants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back