Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Cutting MDF Board On A Laser. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I haven't cut that, exactly- but it should be a lot like wood or other organics.

Need GOOD ventilation! Probably cut with Nitrogen to reduce chance of explosion in scrap box?

Shouldn't take much power- on one of our machines, I would start ~200W, 100 ipm, go from there.

(force of habit- should really start 400 ipm, maybe a bit more power, see what happens!)

let us know...
Jay

You might try calling Tim Christopherson at Preco laser systems, formerly Laser Machining. Tim has sold numerous systems for cutting non metallic materials and he should be able to help you.
Tim # - 800-775-2737 x 1125

I always start with Oxygen stainless data. Halve the material thickness i.e 1mm data for 2mm wood, Use air or n2 instead of Oxygen.

Careful if the Machine is metal cutting only as filters in the extraction system soon get clogged with wood vapours.

I cut MDF using Nd:YAG laser. I cut 6 mm using 700 watt and speed 1 m/min. I cut 16 mm using 1600 watt at the same speed. Use focal length 200 mm to get parallel kerf. Use Netrogen not air nor Oxegen. Use a very good ventilation system because you will get much smoke. Focus position shoud be in the middle of the thickness. Try different focus positions. Inform with the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back