Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cutting mild steel with N2

Status
Not open for further replies.

thermeng2

Mechanical
Jan 29, 2003
US
Hi,

I have been asked to cut mild steel with nitrogen. I have never done this but have heard of it being done to get rid of the scale that is left on the cut edge from oxygen. I am using a 1500 watt mazak. If any one has cut conditions for doing this or pointers on were to start from that would be great.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

bottom of the material focus point, high pressure N2 6-8kg(depending on machine capabilities)Limited to about .125 inch material. full power, freq, duty. feed rate start @ half of mild steel fedd rate and go up as far as you can have a decent cut

If you happen to get that nasty dross or slag on the bottom of the cut, tap it with a hammer. It is so hard & brittle it comes right off. I discoverd this by accident when cutting mild steel with high pressure nitrogen. I threw a part into the scrap barrel & missed. When I picked the part off up the floor the slag was gone!

A division of our company used to clean cut stainless steel with N2 @ 300psi. I cannot recal how thick or feedrate. Hope this helps some...

Scott

In a hundred years, it isn't going to matter anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back