Cutting Plastic

Status
Not open for further replies.

neilc78

Mechanical
Feb 22, 2005
IE
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone here has experience of using a laser for cutting plastic sheets. We are buying a new laser (a LVD Orion probably) and it would be nice if we could do this. I understand that fumes can be an issue. Are there extensive ranges of plastics that can be used for lasers? Are there any draw backs? Any help would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can certainly cut plastics with a laser. I have seen people cutting anywhere from Plexiglass, Lexan, Delrin, etc.

Plexiglass usually cuts the easiest with a very low gas pressure and relatively low power (700 watts) and it stinks the shop. Lexan usually smokes a lot.

Key Pointers:

1) Read the MSDS to see if you run any sort of health hazards with heat or fire

2) Use Nitrogen or Air for your assist gas

3) You will have to cancel the sensing head (unless you have a contact spoon) in order to cut this material since it's not metal

4) Make sure you maintain your nozzle standoff (gap between the tip of the nozzle and the material) specially if you cut a plastic that outputs a lot of smoke. If smoke gets up to the lens you will run the risk of cracking it (happened to me once, wasn't pretty).

5) Make sure your shop is ventilated when you do this

Good Luck

msandoval

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back