Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cutting plastics on a mits 2000 W laser 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

junckerl

Agricultural
May 18, 2010
US
I'm still kind of new to laser cutting and my boss wants to cut up to .179 UHMW and PETG. Has anyone cut these materials and do you have any tips for me, thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would look at the MSDS before you cut plastics. Most laser manufacturers don't support the cutting of plastics on lasers because of safety risks. Some of the contents of such plastics can cause illness. You may want to consider a waterjet for this application.

Also be careful if you cut steel then plastic then back to steel, bag type extraction systems will catch fire. This happened to us twice, we had to change to a wet extraction system. That said our old 2KW Amada LC Alpha used to handle up to 6mm polycarbonate, softer nylon type plastics were a bit of a no no, they just melted.
I would repeat the warning over what is in the fumes, when I was much younger we had a sub contractor cutting some plastic for us on night shift, they came in in the morning and the operator was passed out on the floor overcome by fumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back