Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Cutting rubber!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yo3579

Chemical
Jan 19, 2023
GB
Shouldnt be that hard i know - ive tried knife and scissors. But i have a 0.3mm thin rubber sheet and i need to cut a specific shape (lets call it a circle with bits sticking out)- scissors kinda just chops it and a knife blade doesnt do the round corners well. any other bright ideas on how to cut?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A heat knife will likely burn the rubber before it more easily cuts. Find someone with a laser cutter and exhaust fan or a waterjet cutter. Some try to freeze the rubber, like in alcohol/dry ice, but that is problematic.

I see that CNC cutters can do rubber that is on a backing well enough also - is a home hobby device, but I recall similar cutting is used to create masks for sandblasting.

wetting the rubber can reduce the rubber's significant friction on the sides of the knife or scissor blades.

Clamping the rubber between two sheets of plywood or metal or hard plastic , then cutting with a jig saw or router or sander.
Water soluble glue on both sides of the rubber before clamping might help stabilize the assembly a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back