Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cutting threads using a thread insert.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watco

Industrial
Apr 23, 2003
US
I need to cut the actual external threads on a pipe. I have sketched a profile of the "thread insert" including the rounded crest and rounded root. My helix is created using the pitch and depth option. The sweep won't perform. I think it may have something to do with the pitch of the "thread insert" and the pitch of the helix. Any ideas? Can I send you the model so you can look at it?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you sure your sketch profile is perpendicual to your helix sweep path?

Ray Reynolds
Senior Designer
Read: faq731-376
"Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

MadMango,

It is not necessary to have the sketch profile perpendicular to the helical path. A helical sweep works just like any other sweep. Watco's problem is most likely a profile that intersects itself as it follows the helix. (I believe that is what Scott meant).

Timelord

Unless you need to detail the threads for form, fit, or function, try a cut revolve to show the threaded area. This will save resources and will work fine when detailing a drawing or doing a parts manual.

Hello,

We design threading inserts and often have to have an accurate model of the threads to ensure clearance. We have always had problems making threads where the form takes a full pitch such as a regular UN style thread with full crest radii. Recently we had excellent results by using multiple bodies. We swept one half of the thread and then swept the other half without merging the bodies. We then added a combine, add feature. The result was that we could, for the first time, check the clearance on a multi-tooth threading insert design with accurate results. If you would like I can send you a model.

Hope this helps,
Larry Brown

I'd like to have a look.
email address is in my profile.

[bat]You don't fight destiny, no sir... and you don't eat crackers in the bed of your future![bat]

I looked at the part you sent. All of the features are resolved. I don't see any problems with your features.

I noticed you have two helical sweeps along the same path, but you had to use two different helix curves. I know why this is. Once you use a helix in a sweep, you can't use it for ANYTHING else, right? There is a better way around this.

When modeling springs, I never use the actual helix for sweeps, as this renders the original helix curve unusable for future features. Instead, I copy the helix by using "Convert Entities" in a 3D sketch. In your case, I would have made a single helix, and used a 3D sketch copy for the sweeps, leaving the helix curve feature as a stand-alone "master" feature. Then, there is only one helix that needs to be updated when changes are made.

[bat]You don't fight destiny, no sir... and you don't eat crackers in the bed of your future![bat]

Hello Tick,

Actually, I am not the one with the thread problem. I was offering my file as a possible solution to the problem posted by the gentleman from Watco at the top. The technique that I used in the part that I sent to you solves problems that we have had sweeping threads where the form requires a full pitch of width.

The idea of using converted entities in 3D sketches to drive helical parts is a great idea. I believe that I will give that a try with future parts.

Thanks,
Larry Brown

Mr. Brown,

If you could, please send a model to joem@vbrick.com.
I was working on threads over the weekend and had a problem getting them "perfect".

Thank You
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back