Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cyclohexylamine - safety measures 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

maiweb

Chemical
Feb 24, 2003
DE
Can anyone give me more specific information about the hazards with cyclohexylamine? Specifically I would like to know about the safety measures for preventing explosion risks and human protection.

With a small vessel, containing apr. 2 cbm of Cyclohexylamine and only a small dosing pump and some 30 m piping, what should one consider?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First, read the MSDS:

Second, what concentration are you dealing with?
Obviously, more safety precautions are necessary for higher concentrations. Due to OSHA & EPA and UFC (fire code) requirements, you may need secondary containment, ventilation, a sprinkler system, emergency spill equipment & PPE (personal protective equipment). However, on the EPA's 'List of Lists,' the RQs for cyclohexylamine, CAS# 108-91-8, are 10,000 and 15,000 pounds, and you are far below this (so you are not considered a major threat). In any case, you should discuss this with your local regulatory agencies.

From the MSDS, the vapor is heavier than air and has an explosive range 1.5 to 9.5%, and the TWA is only 10 ppm, so good ventilation and PPE are probably the very minimum requirements.

Is cyclohexylamine similar to hydroxylamine?

There have been two terrible explosions involving hydroxylamine iver the last few years. It seems to be a very unstable chemical. Cheers,
John.

My chemical source says that hydroxylamine is quite unstable, it decomposes violently on heating on air in the presence of humidity and CO[sub]2[/sub] and explodes at above 70[sup]o[/sup]C. In its pure state it is kept below 0[sup]o[/sup]C, for safety reasons. It is mostly found in solutions or as salts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back