Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cyclone size and oil droplet size

Status
Not open for further replies.

landrover77

Mechanical
Jan 16, 2004
GB
I am currently trying to design a cyclone separator to separate oil and refrigerant, ie: a vapor, liquid mix.

I have some design equations focusing droplet size as the deciding funnction, but however have no way of determining droplet size due to the preceeding compression process. (see posting 135-84502)

I would request some help on either determining droplet size or existing design equation for a cyclone. Or is the design of the device a more experienced based calulation
Notes the flow rate are relatively small.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As far as I concern the cyclones are used for gas/solids separation - not liquid/liquid drops. Why not to use the simple two-phase separator - there are a lot of good manuals, and this will not require the droplet size (at least for the first approach).

Why dont you just buy one from AC&R or Temprite. They have been in the refrigeration business for a long, long time.
Each have cyclone, impingement models and the more efficient coalesing types. The learning curve needed to develope these devices and bring them to market can be steep and expensive.

Good Luck
pennpoint

I'm not sure if you wish to separate and collect/ salvage both oil and refrigerant? If you just want to remove oil from the vapourised refrigerant, then you can consider using a micron filter, such as those used in air compressors to remove oil from compressed air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back