Cylinder Roll Length

Status
Not open for further replies.

teb1

Mechanical
Nov 21, 2002
US
As you get older you start to forget!

Would someone in this forum be kind enough to remind me as to what the formula is for figuring out the pre-roll cut length of a plate to be rolled into a cylinder of a specific diameter?

I am rolling a 2 1/4" thick plate to approximately 37.5" outside diameter. I want to end up with a 1/8 to 3/16" gap between the edges prior to welding.

As I remember it, there is a formula based on the inside dimension, and on the outside dimension for thick plates.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

teb

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi teb1,

We calculate our mean diam = I/D + 8/9 plate thickness.
We have used this formula quite successful over the years.
Other workshops may have a different formula to calculate the shell length for rolling.
I hope this helps.
Cheers

Thanks for the quick response, but please clarify.

Please define "I" and "D" as used in the above formula.

Are you saying Cut length= pi x mean diameter + 8/9 x plate thickness?

mean diamter = (Outside Diameter + Inside Diameter)/2

Thanks,

teb1

I think he means ID, not I/D. Cut length = (Inside diameter + 8/9 plate thickness) x pi.

We normally just figure to centerline of plate, but t/r ratio is much smaller than your example.

Hi teb1,

Jstephen is quite correct. I/D should have been ID, We sometimes write things is little different in the land downunder.
Cheers

Thanks again for the responses.

The can thickness to Outside radius concerns me also. That is why I posted the question. When I get back home I am going to review some of my references to find the formula that we used to use. I don't recognize the one that was posted above.

Again, thanks for the quick responses.

Regards,

Tommy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back