Cylinder with Internal Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaely

Mechanical
May 24, 2024
SG
I have an interesting question here...
I have a cylinder with internal leak. Assuming both sides of the cylinder has no applied force and equal pressure on both the piston and rod side. The cylinder is also placed on a horizontal orientation. Will the cylinder extend/retract/have any movement due to the internal leak?

Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Drawing / sketch required please.

Cylinder is just a vessel. Do you mean you have a piston somewhere?

where is the "internal leak?

Where is the pressure difference driving this "internal leak"? - You say equal pressure so why is there a leak?

Sorry, but this is very unclear to me based on words only.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

If you have equal pressure on both sides of a piston, you do not have a leak. The pressure in a cylinder typically leaks across the seals to the rod side, which requires a pressure difference to leak the cylinder contents to the rod side and in which case, pressures are not equal, or it could leak through the head gasket, in case of the cylinder being closed by the cylinder head above. "Internal" leaks within a cylinder are not really possible, as pressure is the same everywhere in the cylinder.

--Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back