Status
Not open for further replies.

BigH

Geotechnical
Dec 1, 2002
TJ
Mates,

Now for #2.

Has anyone carried out density testing on large sized rockfill in accordance with ASTM D 5030? This is causing some consternation to many insofar as the tests implies the use of mortar for smoothing the side walls of the excavation. How many actually do this? For my view, it seems that if the plastic membrane is thin and flexible enough and not held taut, then as the water is filling the pit, the membrane will adjust to any irregularities in the "smoothness" of the wall. By the way - the diameter of the pit is 3.2 m (stone size max 700 mm but typically less than 600 mm.

Secondly, comments on the verticallity of the side walls. Obviously, it is desired to be as vertical as possible but the specification does show conical picture for large diameter rings.

Comments?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

fattdad/Ron/Oldest Guy - do any of you know where I can get a Fuller's gradation graph for aggregate up to, say 700 mm. The charts I've found go to only 37.5 mm

This is a rubber balloon test on steroids. The shape of the hole is irrelevant in my opinion. I agree that a thin membrane would be fine, provided it is tough enough to prevent cutting from sharp particles. This is one reason for the mortar smoothing. The minor variations in the side walls introduce little in the way of volume error since the pit is much larger in volume.

As for the Fuller gradation of larger rock particles....the largest particle size curve I've seen is 64mm. I would use the Fuller gradation equation and bracket the plot with n==0.4 to 0.6 (arbitrary considerations!)

I agree with Ron. No need to use mortar, just use a heavy plastic. Shape of the hole doesn't really matter.

I'm no help on the Fuller gradation.

Mike Lambert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back