Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

D-Monel Mech. Properties 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

duddini

Mechanical
Sep 23, 2003
US
Hi all;

I've tried to find, unsuccesfully, the mechanical properties (tensile and yield mainly) for Monel, A494, Grade M-25S. The ASTM spec has no data for this alloy other than hardness. I believe the Federal Spec for this is QQ-N-288 Comp. D, but again no data. Hours of web searching for more info on this casting grade was a no-go.

Can anyone point me in a direction I haven't looked ??

Thanks,
Bob

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This also peaked my curiosity. This is S-Monel, Grade M-25S under ASME SA-494. There are no mechanical properties listed under this specification.

Thanks metengr;

This is the info I was looking for, curious the ASTM spec has chemical composition info but no mechanical props, I wonder why ? Anyway, I am trying to find a non-magnetic replacement for 15-15LC that I can cast ($ issue), and the foundry reccomended this, but had no info on it :)

Thanks again,
Bob

"You can observe a lot just by watching"
Yogi Berra

We have two references to other grades on our database. Chemistries are roughly the same as M25S.

Alloy 505: 0.2% proof 560MPa min, Tensile 830MPa min, 1% elongation min, 275-350HB or 29-38HRC

Alloy 350: 0.2% proof 500MPa min, Tensile 800MPa min, 1% elongation min, 300-350HB

Bruv

The Nickel Institute has 732 papers for "Nickel Copper."
The one below has the mechanical properties of Nickel-Copper Alloy 505 (QQ-N-288, Comp. D) in the as-cast, annealed and annealed+aged [hardened] conditions.
NiDI Technical Paper 515 - SOME NICKEL-COPPER CASTING ALLOYS -- ENGINEERING PROPERTIES (1969)
"Presents chemical, physical and mechanical properties of nickel-copper casting alloys 410, 411, 505 and 506. Discusses their high strength and toughness and excellent resistance to corrosion by a variety of chemicals and marine environments. Includes information on heat treating, machining and joining."

I entered the following before bruv's post that Monel S = Alloy 505. The data agrees with that from above except for hardened condition elongation, which I've noted. Also, some yield strengths for this alloy are for 0.5% strain.

MONEL,S,[As-]CAST
Tension Ultimate .... 120-145 Ksi
Tension Yield Point .. 80-130 Ksi
Modulus of Elasticity .. 24.1 Million psi
Elongation % .......... 1-4 %

NICKEL BASE ALLOYS
TYPICAL HARDNESS VALUES AND SEPARATELY CAST TEST BARS
Monel S
Condition Hardened 120 [Annealed + Aged]
Tensile Min. 120 (KSI)
Yield Min. 85 (KSI)
Approx. Elong. 0 % [other sources give 1-3%]
Hardness Max. Rc 38 [BHN 300-380]

Thanks everyone. The nomenclature for some of the Monel alloys is a bit confusing. I feel good now about using monel-s in place of the 15-15LC.
Thanks for the links kenvlach, I must have hit >50 sites during my search, but I missed these.

"You can observe a lot just by watching"
Yogi Berra

EdStainless must be right; the foundry maybe suggested in their own be$t interest. Monel usage has steadily declined over the past 50 years due to better performance/price of newer SS's, aluminum bronzes, etc. Probably why the Monel-S data was hard to come by and why it's not sold by Special Metals (with INCO's rights). Also, other Monels may be better choices (although I don't know how castable).

For seawater resistance, even titanium may be less expensive since probably much less weight needed.
What is your application?

We have been casting ASTM A494 M35-1, M35-2, M25S and M30C successfully for many years. Like all things, it's easier when you know what you're doing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back