Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

D1.3 Performance Qualification, non-prequalified materials

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnTM

Mechanical
Jan 24, 2004
US
I need some guidance/advise/interpretation for dealing with D1.3 welder performance qualifications. Code is D1.3:2008

4.8.1.2 allows a welder to be performance qualified through WPS qualification. Let's say the test is for a non-ASTM material, like an EN10149-2 grade. Since the test would be done in accordance with D1.3, does the EN10149-2 then become "one of the steels permitted by the code" in 4.7.1.1?

Stated another way, typically I do welder qualification using a galvanized A653 Type II material from Table 1.2. Anybody who passes is qualified to weld any of the other Table 1.2 materials, per 4.7.1.1, correct? What if I have somebody do a pqr/wps on the EN10149-2 material? Per 4.8.1.2, they are then performance qualified for that combination. How do I read or interpret that they are also qualified for the table 1.2 materials? Or are they not qualified to them?

Many thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I take a rather conservative approach. If the material qualified is an unlisted base metal, the WPS is limited to the unlimited base metal. Likewise, if the welder is qualified using an unlisted base metal, the performance qualification range is limited to the unlisted base metal.

AWS codes provide the Engineer (representing the Owner) considerable latitude. The Engineer may permit qualification using unlisted base metals to be expanded to include listed base metals as well. However, the Engineer is given that latitude, not the contractor or the testing laboratory.

Best regards - Al

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back