Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dam design calculations 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

plastcc

Civil/Environmental
Sep 5, 2003
US
I've been tasked with designing an oil spill containment. The best design is to build a concrete wall, approx. a foot high, perpendicular to an asphalted slope of about 1:10. My PE says he threw out all of the old concrete design books, and no other references are available or authorized for purchase. I want some calculations (or a free on-line reference) so I can show myself that the wall will hold water, resist a bump from a truck, and not overturn, slide or sink. I will submit it all to my PE for his approval once I am done.

I have not had any luck finding my old school books and notes. Any help will be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One foot high-sounds almost like a curb. You might consider designing it like a curb, with a gutter pan about 18" wide at the surface. This is so a truck would sit on this when it bumped the wall, and it would be less likely to slide or tip.

Is this crude oil, then maybe an asphalt surface is OK. I would have thought you would need either concrete or a geomembrane.

Can't help on the structural design, but based on typical concrete dimensions I've seen you probably only need 6" thick concrete, but it should be reinforced and include contraction joints at intervals.

Asphalt will dissolve with some hydrocarbon liquids, (gasoline, diesel, naptha, etc.). Containment is usually to EPA standards and calculations must be by PE, (any state will suffice for federal rules). Examples on website.

we're talking about a containment bund, not a dam

If you make the wall sufficiently broad (broader than it is high) than it should not tip over. Reinforcement would be primarily for crack control.

CarlB- Yes, it is more of a curb. The pan will also make it easier to incorporate a drain. Thanks for the tip. The oil is #2 fuel oil. I will deal with the asphalt issue in the unlikely event that I have a spill.

civilperson- Thank you. I have a PE certify all of my containments upon installation and every ten years.

bridgebuster- I did check some USACE manuals on line. Thank you very much for the link. I was able to find some more useful information from the link.

cvg- Thanks for the information and saving me from over-engineering this task.

What you are talking about is secondary containment.

The usual design is a reinforced concrete wall around the tank with enough volume to contain 110% of the tank and the local jurisdiction usually approves this.

The design uses an 8" thick concrete wall, 3' high, 10" slab, and 18" footing, reinforced w/ say #4 rebar @ 12" o.c..

The asphalt is probably ok if you are not going to have any spillage during normal operations, just secondary containment. The design has to be able to hold the spill vollume long enough such that cleanup operations can be completed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back