Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

damage analysis: cast iron properties

Status
Not open for further replies.

pierluk

Automotive
May 3, 2010
DE
Hi guys

I have instrumented a tractor with strain gauges for measuring the loads of whole vehicle. The vehicle driveline is made up of cast iron. Whereas I have to analyse the structural damage of vehicle driveline to find the worst condition, do you know the cast iron sn curve slope? In literature I have found different values, but I haven't understood what is the right value I have to use to perform this analysis. Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

FYI - I used to work for CaseIH. From what the tractor test engineers told me some of the worst loads for tractor structures in general come from using front-end loaders and snagging "immovable" items with a 3pt mounted ripper. I imagine that some of the front 3pt mounted tillage tools used in Europe would also case some large loads.

ISZ

What does the manufacturer say they make the components from?

I'd drill a small shallow test hole in a few of the components. If chips are dust, then I'd say there is essentially no ductility. If real chips, even short ones are formed, then the material has some ductility, and values for one of the ductile or SG irons might be close.

IceStationZebra

Did you happen to work on the hitch pump hydraulics of a 1586?

I discovered a problem with them.

"You see, wire telegraph is like a very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? Radio operates the same way: You send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is there is no cat." A. Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back