Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Damping for High Frequencies in an Impact Simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwimBikeRun4342

Mechanical
Mar 6, 2013
US
Hi Everyone

I have an FEA model of rigid robotic legs impacting the ground. These legs are carrying a large weight (defined in a point node attached to the legs) and they impact the ground at a large velocity. I want to obtain a plot of the acceleration of selected points during this impact event.

However, when I plot acceleration, the results are counter-intuitive (and possibly complete nonsense). I believe this is because the damping is not well defined in my model and therefore the acceleration plot is distorted from capturing several different high natural frequencies of the structure. Thus, I was wondering if there is a way to define damping in Abaqus such that the body is only excited at natural frequencies up to a certain value, and no higher. Does anybody know of a feature for this?

Any suggestions on how to appropriately add some damping to my model would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back