Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Damping in Response Spectrum Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

shino10121012

Civil/Environmental
Jun 29, 2016
IN
Hey Guys,
I understand that during the analysis the response spectrum function will automatically adjust to cater for modal damping when the spectrum is defined as per a particular code that is built in.
I would like to know if I will be able to input different spectra corresponding to various damping values through an input file so that modal damping can be done.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just make user-defined function within SAP2K or import using text file, it's same as you define time history load function.

Shoot for the Moon, even if U miss, U still land among Stars!

Every response spectrum function that you define can have its own damping ratio

Thank you @Shz713 and @stressed for your response.

But i think you guys are not clear with my query. What i wanted to know was if i could linearly interpolate between the two input response spectra that i have defined to get the required accelaration for a damping equal to the modal damping.

For Ex. I define a RespFunc1 corresponding to damping 5% and RespFunc2 corresponding to 10%. Now due to different materials used in the structure I m ending up with a modal damping of say 7%. So the acceleration that i need to consider is of a damping value of 7%. So will SAP consider the damping corresponding to 7% by any chance? or will I end up with a response acceleration corresponding to 5% (or10%) only.

NB : I am a frequent user of STAADPRO and there is a provision in it where i can input two spectrum for two different damping values and ask the solver to consider a linear interpolation between the input spectra.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back