Damping in rubber in Finite Element analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

stawrogin

Mechanical
Dec 5, 2003
DE
Hi

I have to model rubber in a direct time integration analysis in a wide frequency range (10 to 1000 Hz) where the internal material damping of the rubber at high frequencies should be modelled as well. I only have one tan (delta) value for the highest frequency. I would prefer to use the Rayleigh damping to estimate these damping effects in the structure than setting up a visco-elastic material model. However I suppose in principle it should work, I’m not sure if this correct and which effects are neglected by the use of the Rayleigh damping instead of a visco-elastic material model. Has anybody experience with such problems or can anybody give some references how modelled these damping effects?

Thanks in advance

stawrogin

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

...see also my answer under "Finite Element Analysis Engineering"

...by the way I forgot to mention there that in case of having the "phase-lag" angle only at a given frequency and not for an relevant range ( ) it would be hard to estimate appropriately, because the dependency of the "phase-lag" on frequency is highly material dependent when rubber is considered.

Just to mention, there is an easy and affordable way to get a suitable characterization of the damping properties of a given rubber grade by using appropriate DMA-measurements and evaluation procedures. This results in a more fully picture of damping behaviour (then given by a set of viscoelastic parameters ==> Prony Series)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back