Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Danger of no sway bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

knowlittle

Materials
Jul 26, 2007
US
Is there a high risk associated removing the sway bar (torsion bar)? Sharp cornering may become problematic but to the point of risking life? I have been a member of an online Ford pickup forum. Someone posted how ride became better without the sway bar. I just wonder if this is a high risk modification. If so, I would like to warn so. If not, who cares. Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Removing the front sway bar on a pickup is ahigh risk danger. The bar ensures you will have a safe, understeering vehicle at all load conditions, especially GVW. It will also cause it to roll more in turns which could easily turn into a rollover even at low speeds and moderate cornering levels.

If your truck is relatively new, it probably has roll-over intervention programming in it. The vehicle " It " knows will not be the vehicle it acts on. If you crash, and someone is hurt, injured, maimed, crippled or killed, the manufacturer WILL find out and you could/would be charged with manslaughter.

If ride is the issue, lower tire pressures a bit (2-3 psi) if it's unloaded. If that doesn't satisfy you, buy a mini-van or a 1/2 ton Suburban.

@knowlittle,

I've seen similar pronouncements on truck and 4WD forums but they were always related to strictly off road trucks where it's commonly done. Are you sure that doesn't apply to what you read?

Porsche has a similar thing, they call it disconnect but it has hydraulic assisted sway bars that are controlled by software, the amount of interference is dependant upon your driving style and mode selected. When low range is selected the hydraulic system just goes into open circuit the effect is almost disconnect. Porsche state 2" additional wheel travel. It will automatically re-engage over 50kph.

I thought it would just be a bit of a gimmick, but it's very nice to drive, as you get closer to the cars limit it starts to interfere less, I assume it locks at a certain limit after a soft slow down, then it drives and has body roll as expected but at lesser spirited driving speeds it can feel to lean into corners. Surprisingly good.

You should probably consider Ford's inclusion of a sta-bar as being their comfortable ride design. Had they not included the bar and compensated for its absence with sufficiently firmer front springs (and firmer dampers to control them), people would really be complaining about ride quality.

Norm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back