Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Data for index of refraction as function of wavelength

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcopps

Mechanical
Feb 8, 2005
US
I am looking for data for index of refraction as a function of wavelength for optical glasses over a large wavelength range (400 to 1,000 nm). Ideally, I am looking for a plot of index versus wavelength over that range. (The Abbe number describes how much index of refraction changes with wavelength, but only for certain specific wavelengths, and I need a wider range.)

Thank you.

Dale C.
Library Manager

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Apparently not, although that is not something I would know. I will pass on your question to my engineer; it may give him a hint about where to look. The project he is contemplating is a new concept, however, so we may not even have the software to which you are referring. (We did find a formula which should allow him to calculate his plot, so we are probably in good shape at this point.)

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

-Dale

In order to correctly model color correction in optics, you need to have the spectral index information. Each glass is different, so there is no single curve. That's why there are so many different optical glasses, so that you can mix and match to achieve the desired color performance.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

If you are using Zemax it has this information for catalog glasses.

If you add the wavelengths you are interested into the design you can then bring up the prescription with the Index/CTE option checked. It will have the index for all of you glasses at the wavelengths in the design.

If you are using CodeV it is probably similar, I just don't use it so I don't know the details.

HTH
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back