Data transfer rate calculate 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

johngladstone

Mechanical
Dec 24, 2012
YE
Hi gentlemen,

For plc whatever type with I/O modules. How can calculate data transfer rate? To determine suitable ethernet switch? Connect into plc

Is there any example or reference I will be appreciate

Br
John

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Most industrial ethernet is 100 Mb/s with 1Gb/s just starting to appear. No matter how fast the ethernet is, the limiting factor will be when the send and receiver can get around to processing the next pack.
In some cases the PLC itself is the bottle neck because it can't send and receive data fast enough from the Ethernet chips. I don't like Ethernet modules. In this case the PLC bus will be the limiting factor.
PCs can use DMA to transfer data to and from the Ethernet chip. Some microcontrollers have the Ethernet functionality built in. The microcontrollers with built in Ethernet are very efficient.

Wire speed is not the only limitation. If there are many devices on the switch then how it handles collisions is important. You should read this

Some PLCs have limitations on how many connections it can have open. This is not a problem when only communicating with a few devices.
It isn't as simple has just comparing wire speed.

Peter Nachtwey
Delta Computer Systems
IFPS Hall of Fame Member

Thank you pnactway for your input

According my understand cani suppose the Data speed based on port built up on PLC?

Am I right?
If yes how can I know data rate at ethernet port
Is it 10, 100, 1g bits / sec?

If it's mpi how much the speed will be?

Actually I looking to sizing hardware harmonically when I get different plc protocols

To prevent data collapse in server database or data warehouse.
If there is example will be appressiats
Thank you in advance

Warm regards
John

If yes how can I know data rate at ethernet port

Again, read the manual. That said, the data speed is dependent on what the PLC is ACTUALLY DOING!!!!! If it's measuring a single pressure once a second, the data rate is something like 32 bps, while a PLC monitoring an entire factory's worth of measurements might be maxed out. Ask the programmer what the program is doing and how much data it's transmitting

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

6ES7318-3FL01-0AB0 has one ethernet connection and it can be used either as ProfiNet bus or just a Industrial Ethernet connection.
Maybe not so clear in the documentation.

7Sk%C3%A4rmklipp_reytdd.jpg

7Sk%C3%A4rmklipp_zlo6di.jpg

If your CPUs are using the Ethernet as ProfiNet you will need a additional CP343-1 if you want a Ethernet connection.

“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.“
Albert Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back