Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Database 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCCGRAD

Mechanical
Feb 25, 2008
US
thanks for all who spent the time to read this. I was put in charge of organizing our database of pro/e files. (what a drag, seriouslly) The guy who started this database was missing a little something upstairs if you know what i mean. But in any case, we have assemblies, components, drawings, all over the place in one main folder.

Some subfolders are there to hold all the "plastic" files. then theres a folder for all the "screws", just to name a few. Some components are being used by multiple assemblies. Which is why im asking if this is possible. Now when i placed everything in their respective folders, i thought i was doing good. Nope, now when i open the assemblies, an error message pops up saying it cant find the component. So i manually find it, save the assembly, then close it. Without erasing "non-displayed" items, ill open it again, and everything is nicey nice. Then ill close it, and do the erase non-displayed items. open it again and the error message pops up again.

Is there a way to have all the components in subfolders, and assemblies in another, and have pro/e know where everything is. Or does everything have to be in one folder all disorganized.

thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for all your help.

~~Joe

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Create a search.pro file and put the location of that file in your config.pro or config.sup. I think the option is named search_pro_file.
In your search.pro file you all have lines like this:
f:\pro_stds\hardware\screws
f:\pro_stds\hardware\nuts
f:\pro_stds\fittings
f:\pro_parts\standard
f:\pro_parts\machine1

Anyway you can get the idea.

Pro/E will search the paths in search.pro for items in an assembly that it cannot resolve from the as-saved location.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back