Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Datums call out @ part center is correct? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

darshan84

Mechanical
Aug 5, 2014
IN
Please see attached image. Can i use part center to call out datums?
Please help me to understand, why i can use it.

Thanks,
Darsh

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

darshan84 said:
Can i use part center to call out datums?

Yes you can have a datum derived from some defined feature (such as part overall dimension) which is effectively the center plane of that feature.

thread1103-292841 and plenty of others touch on this.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Darshan84,

No, you can't use a part centerline to define a datum as shown in your examples. The datum feature symbol must be associated with a particular feature, or features.

Evan Janeshewski

Axymetrix Quality Engineering Inc.

As stated above, you can't have a datum symbol attached to a non-touchable center. There are a couple of reasons, but the main one is that we don't know exactly what center is being referred to: Is it the center plane derived from the outside width? Inside width? Middle plane of the holes' location? And so on.

John-Paul Belanger
Certified Sr. GD&T Professional
Geometric Learning Systems

Darshan84

You sure will ask why I can't use the center line as a datum feature, here is the answer for you. Even ISO GPS not allow the datum symbol place on the center line on the new standard.

From the point of view on datum point (0.0,0.0) on your last post, use the hole pattern as a datum feature is a good practice as mentioned by Paul.

Season

Just a point of interest. Your callout for Datum C is also wrong for the reasons stated above.

John Acosta, GDTP S-0731
Engineering Technician
Inventor 2013
Mastercam X6
Smartcam 11.1
SSG, U.S. Army
Taji, Iraq OIF II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back