Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DC Current Transformers 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigmantony

Electrical
Jan 14, 2003
GB
Dear All, does anyone have technical knowledge of DC Current transformers. So far have not found any useful info on the web. Also, does anyone know of manufacturers of these units.

Looking forward to responses.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I know Seiman's made some back in the 80's. We also made some in the Company i worked for but only for in house use not for sale outside. The DC primary current saturates the core, so the secondary has an AC voltage applied to unsaturate the core every cycle, This is an over simplfied explanation but gives the basic idea. A very high quality core steel is usually required.

LEM are one of the biggest manufacturers of Hall Effect DC current transducers. Their site has a lot of information on it.

Part of our steam turbine's AVR uses a 'DC CT' made by Spang in the US. The mode of operation of these devices is not something I've ever had cause to delve in to. From somewhat dim memory they use something other than Hall Effect, which probably means it is using peculiar magnetics instead as reactorman suggests. I can do some digging if it would help - maybe find a datasheet.

----------------------------------

If we learn from our mistakes,
I'm getting a great education!

Strictly speaking, shunts are used to measure the voltage produced by a given current. I don't know what the output of a Hall Effect device would be, but a traditional CT produces a current proportional to the measured current. Other, useful, devices produce voltages that are proportional to the current being measured, as would a shunt, but these cannot truly be called CTs.

Time for a little DC current measurement refresher, perhaps?

Measuring DC current has always been tricky. Normal transformers do not work - for obvious reasons.

In the early Ward-Leonard systems, a shunt was all that was needed. This was possible since the WL systems were completely isolated from the grid and were usually floating. The 50, 60 or 150 mV current signal from the shunt was amplified and used in controller and protection. It could also be fed to a panel meter for current measurement.

Later on, when thyristor controlled rectifiers came along, the shunt signal wasn't isolated any more. But the shunt was a simple and accepted technique and by adding an isolation amplifier - usually with chopper and transformer isolation - an isolated signal that could be used in the control and protection circuits was obtained.

The measuring transductor (not transducer) is a magnetic amplifier with no amplification (1:1 amplification). If an iron core is wound with a primary winding and a secondary winding and the primary winding is DC, then the AC fed secondary winding will carry a current that is proportional to the DC. There is a small (and constant) excitation current that can be adjusted for). Rectifying the secondary current and feeding it to a resistor results in a simple and stable DC transducer. This transducer type was once called a Kraemer transducer. Do not see it in use any more. It provides no polarity information.

There were also early Hall effect transducers. The Hall effect devices were of a quite bad quality in the early days and could not be used for direct measurement of current. Instead, they were used as null detectors in a magnetic circuit where the primary DC current was nulled by a reverse field from a multi-turn winding (1000 - 10 000 turns) where the secondary current was adjusted by a little servo amplifier until the Hall element indicated balance. The resulting current was then a measurement of primary current (divided by turns ratio) and the output can be either the current itself (DC current transformer) or a voltage proportional to the current (DC current transducer).

Direct Hall effect transducers work directly with a Hall effect device picking up magnetic flux from the primary conductor. They are used widely in modern frequency inverters where current measurement is critical even at very low motor frequencies. LEM is the predominant manufacturer.

Rogowski coils can be used for current measurement under condition that current goes to zero periodically so that a stable zero reference can be obtained. They are particularly well suited in large DC plants for aluminium and chlorine fabrication where the 20 000 – 50 000 A currents saturate normal iron cores. The Rogowski has no iron to saturate and it works wonderfully in these applications.

Modern electronics and fiber optics are used in DC transducers for HVDC transmission. They utilise the Faraday effect. The Faraday effect causes polarized light in an optic fiber to change polarization when a magnetic field is applied to it. The effect is strictly proportional to H (the Magneto Motoric Force, MMF) and since the line integral of H around a conductor is proportional to current in the conductor (same goes for Rogowski) the result is an excellent DC current transducer. ABB has developped this technique and use it in their HVDC systems.

Flux gates could also be used, but I haven’t seen any application for that device as a DC transducer yet. They will probably be too sensitive to external fields.

Gunnar Englund

skogsgurra,

I think the Spang product I mentioned is in the transductor class. Old technology - it is no longer listed as a product.

----------------------------------

If we learn from our mistakes,
I'm getting a great education!

Just returned to site. A big thankyou to all and I shall review everyones comments and responed with any questions that i may have.
Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back