Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DC field slowly shorting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lrob

Industrial
Oct 3, 2003
US
I have a 250 HP dc motor that seems to slowly short the shunt field. The motor is a shunt, series motor. The shunt field had similar problem two years ago. I am looking at application speed. I was also considering if there is something in the Drive that could be out of adjustment and slowly cooking the field. I am considering having a tech. in to check out the drive. I was looking for feedback as to what is most common problem that might cause my situation?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You should absolutely have a drive technician check your drive and motor. Sounds like your field rectifier is outputting too high a voltage or that you are stopping the motor without switching off the field supply and without having a separate cooling fan for those cases.

Does the motor get hot at standstill? Does it smell burnt or hot? Turn-to-turn shorts can develop over time if the field winding gets hotter than normal. You need a "drive doctor". Soon!

We have a separate cooling blower. I do not believe the motor was getting hot at standstill. It did smell burnt. We currently have the motor removed from the drive for repair when it is returned. I will check the field voltage in the stopped mode. I think I will also bring in a drive tech. to give the drive a checkout and see if I am missing something. Thanks for the advice.

I had an instance where copper oxide buildup on the outside of the field supply fuses caused the field current to go down to 80% of normal. I went and pulled the fuses and cleaned them up with #220 or #240 silicon carbide abrasive paper per the recommendations of the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Go to and look up aluminum wiring issues.

I reinstalled the fuses and now the field current was 125% or 130% of nameplate. Had to readjust the field resistor. It was really amzing what a little bit of copper oxide was doing to the circuit! Somebody else just kept adjusting the field resistor to compensate for the copper oxide instead of cleaning it out. A bit like running with a pebble in your shoe!

Mike Cole, mc5w@earthlink.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back